Legal Support For Victims Of Elder Abuse
When you place your elderly family member in the care and hands of another person or institution, such as a nursing home or residential care facility for elders, you trust that the staff will treat your loved one just like their own. Unfortunately, a certain percentage of caregivers and nursing staff members take advantage of their position and harm or neglect our vulnerable loved ones.
If your loved one has been the victim of elder abuse, Schimmel & Parks, APLC, can help. Our attorneys pursue legal claims against all types of elder abuse perpetrators. We have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of the clients we’ve represented, and we’re positioned to assist you, too.
Definition Of Elder Abuse
Elder abuse is defined as intentional actions, or failure to act, by a caregiver or other trusted individual which results in harm to an older adult. Neglecting, exploiting or inflicting painful or harmful mistreatment on a person 65 years of age or older is considered elder abuse.
The following are common forms of elder abuse:
- Physical abuse or neglect
- Unexplained injuries such as bruises and scars
- Broken bones, dislocations and sprains
- Rapid weight loss due to deprivation of food and water
- Improper medication dosages
- Use of physical and chemical restraints
- Emotional abuse
- Threatening, controlling and belittling behavior on behalf of the caregiver
- Being forced to stay in a room or in isolation
- Atypical behavior on the part of the senior, including withdrawing or noncommunication
- Sexual abuse
- Bruising around genitals or breasts
- Unexplained STDs
- Torn, bloody or stained underclothing
- Financial abuse
- Unusual activity in banking accounts
- Money or valued items missing from elder’s home
- Unpaid bills
- Suspicious financial activity
Despite protective laws, elder abuse occurs frequently. We understand these concerns and help families overcome these difficult times. Our legal team operates on a contingency fee basis, which means there will be no cost to you whatsoever until we win your case or reach a settlement on your behalf. Do not hesitate to get our experienced legal representation immediately.